January 8, 2011

2010: The Retrospect: Top 5 Most Anticipated of 2011

We're almost done.

What kind of retrospect would this be if I didn't at least touch on what was about to come. In the past, all I've done is list off some movies that would be gracing our presence in the coming year. Well, now, since I'm getting nominated for awards whatnot, I'm going to focus on the year to come with it's very own post! Man. I'm legitimate! Seriously though, 2011 looks like it will answer a lot of cinematic questions, questions regarding superheroes, robots, wizards, and Mel Gibson. These are my Top 5 Most Anticipated Films of 2011!





5. Your Highness
Danny McBride, James Franco, and David Gordon Green reteam for another, marijuana fueled satirization on a popular genre. They tackled gangsters with a clueless Seth Rogen, and now they are going after fantasy with a sword wielding, a quite possibly naked, Natalie Portman. The trailer is hilarious, and the writing seems to be just as sharp and witty. Pineapple Express did an effective, if messy, job at combining stoner comedy with urban warfare. Maybe the realm of knights and armor will serve the brand of humor a bit better. Either way, I'm there!



4. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
On the surface, I'd be running away at top sprint. But, with Let Me In proving that american remakes can be just as good, if not better than their foreign counterparts, I'm now cautiously optimistic. It doesn't hurt that the cast, including Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara, is awesome. But the fact that the director is David Fincher changes the game. Fincher excels at crafting tales centered around dark and violent characters, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is practically drowning in those. I'm excited, and you should be to!



3. Thor
Uhh... It's Thor! A norse god goes around wrecking shit and looking hot for two hours... with Natalie Portman... directed by Kenneth Branagh! That's all you need to know!



2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
The finale to a cinematic event so epic that its subtitle has a subtitle. Part 1 was a further step up from the excellent Half-Blood Prince, even coming close to topping Prisoner of Azkaban. Part 2 looks to dominate all other films in the series. The acting is already top notch, but it's the story and epic final battle that will seal the deal on this one; The action looks to awesome! The second half of Deathly Hallows was the most emotionally satisfying part of JK Rowling's saga, stupid as hell epilogue aside. There's no reason that the movie should be any different. Like I said before, if Part 2 can adequately follow up on what Part 1 set up, I fully expect to be hearing the Harry Potter theme song a lot at the 2011 Oscars.



1. Sucker Punch
Zack Snyder finally tackles an original story about girls who enter into their own minds in an effort to escape from the insane asylum that they have been incarcerated in. The cast looks strong, to be sure, but it's a Zack Snyder movie. I want some action, and he will more than deliver! The trailer for this one is the best I've seen in a long time; it looks positively sick!
SAMURAI CAVE TROLLS WITH MINI GUNS!!!! Did you just respond favorably to that? The you will love this movie!!!



We've got two days left. Tune in tomorrow for the most entertaining post, Top 5 Worst Movies of 2010. It's gonna be brutal! Tune in, and be sure to refresh yourself on everything with 2010: The Retrospect... and vote for me... please? See you tomorrow children. Be sure to check for monsters.

3 comments:

  1. I was just on the Demented Podcast discussing this very topic! My number 1 most anticipated is Kevin Smith's Red State

    Good calls on Dragon Tattoo and Harry Potter. I'm still a bit trepidatious about Sucker Punch (Snyder can be very hit or miss) and Thor, but I'll definitely see them.

    I really like the cast, but I can't say I'm particularly excited about Your Highness...I think I'll just rewatch Black Swan if I'm in the mood for sexy Natalie Portman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tom: Ooo, yeah. Red State is gonna be interesting. I agree that Snyder can be hit or miss, but he always delivers with the spectacle, which is why I'm excited. And I liked Pineapple Express a lot, so I'm excited enough about Your Highness. And hey now. Natalie Portman is sexy no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in Red State, but not to Tom's level. Everything else he said, though, I'm right there with him.

    ReplyDelete