January 25, 2011

37/45

Huh...

Well, 37 out of 45 ain't terrible. Rejoice peoples! The nominations are here! Oscar has named the films in contention for this year's Academy Awards. For the most part, they were pretty much in line with what I predicted. There were some pretty big surprises, though. But, enough banter. Let's get started.



Best Picture
127 Hours
Black Swan
The Fighter
Inception
The Kids Are All Right
The King's Speech
The Social Network
Toy Story 3
True Grit
Winter's Bone


No qualms with this one. I fully expected The Town to get ousted in favor of Winter's Bone. It doesn't really matter though. It's probably still going to be The Social Network, but The King's Speech might pull an upset.

Best Director
Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan)
Joel and Ethan Coen (True Grit)
David Fincher (The Social Network)
Tom Hooper (The King's Speech)
David O. Russell (The FIghter)


Uhhh... what? Don't get me wrong. I kind of expected one of my five predicted noms to get dropped in favor of the Coens. But not in a million years would I predict that the one that got dropped would be Christopher Nolan. So much for him being liked by the Academy now. I really don't get it? What is it with the Academy in nominated action directors. Seriously. If the movie isn't and epic, action has no place with these twerps. They say DGA noms are shoe ins for the Academy. Try telling that Nolan (three DGA noms, zero Oscar noms). Ai-yi-yi.

Best Actress
Annette Bening (The Kids Are All Right)
Nicole Kidman (Rabbit Hole)
Jennifer Lawrence (Winter's Bone)
Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
Michelle Williams (Blue Valentine)


Right one the money with this one! Portman is still gonna win. No Strings Attached hasn't hurt her that much.

Best Actor
Javier Bardem (Biutiful)
Jeff Bridges (True Grit)
Jesse Eisenberg (The Social Network)
Colin Firth (The King's Speech)
James Franco (127 Hours)


Huh, that interesting. I did not see Bardem getting nominated at all. He has no chance of winning, but his nod here virtually guarantees that his film wins Best Foreign. Other than that, business as usual. Firth is the front runner, but I think Franco could pull ahead. Franco also gives the better performance, but more on that later in the week.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams (The Fighter)
Helena Bonham Carter (The King's Speech)
Melissa Leo (The Fighter)
Hailee Steinfeld (True Grit)
Jackie Weaver (Animal Kingdom)


Oh well, bummer for Kunis. She'll get her chance. Not to worry. I still think it's bullshit that Steinfeld is getting nominated here and not in Best Actress where she belongs, but, I won't dwell on it. It's better than not getting noticed at all. Good for Weaver though. I'm still predicting a win for Leo, but anyone could take it, honestly.

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale (The Fighter)
John Hawkes (Winter's Bone)
Jeremy Renner (The Town)
Mark Ruffalo (The Kids Are All Right)
Geoffrey Rush (The King's Speech)


Ok! Ok, woah! What the hell? Where is Andrew Garfield? This is the only snub I'm actually a little angry about, apart from Nolan. How could they pass him up. He was so good! I haven't seen Winter's Bone, so I know nothing of John Hawkes, but I'm hard pressed to believe he's as good as Garfield was. Whatever. Bale is gonna win.

Best Original Screenplay
Another Year (Mike Leigh)
The Fighter (Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy, Eric Johnson, Keith Dorrington)
Inception (Christopher Nolan)
The Kids Are All Right (Lisa Cholodenko, Stuart Blumberg)
The King's Speech (David Seidler)


Inception better win here! I still think it will, since I think the Academy wants to notice Nolan somehow. I swear, I will flip a shit if Kids wins! It doesn't deserve it!

Best Adapted Screenplay
127 Hours (Danny Boyle, Simon Beaufoy)
The Social Network (Aaron Sorkin)
Toy Story 3 (Michael Arndt, John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Lee Unkrich)
True Grit (Joel and Ethan Coen)
Winter's Bone (Debra Granik, Anne Rosellini)


Wow, I done fucked up on this one, correctly guessing only three of the five. Doesn't matter though; they didn't even need to have this award. They might as well have just given it to Sorkin this morning.

So... yeah. There they are. For the most part, the Academy got it right. I just can't fathom how they won't recognize Christopher Nolan, despite how good his movies are. But, that's a topic for another day. Scoring a respectable 82% on my predictions, we have entered into the final stage. 33 days and counting. See ya then!

No comments:

Post a Comment