January 9, 2012

2011: The Retrospect: 10 Most Anticipated of 2012

Before we finish off here, we're going to take a moment to look ahead.

World's gonna end on December 21st, which just happens to be 5 days before my 21st birthday. I! AM! FURIOUS!!!

But, can't dwell on that forever. There are a ton of good movies coming out in this, the final year of the human race (Ooo, that's grim.).

So, with that in mind, here are Films From the Supermassive Black Hole's 10 Most Anticipated Movies of 2012!

Oh boy!


10. The Dictator

So, apparently Bruno wasn't all that. Couldn't tell ya. All I saw of that movie was there part where Bruno uses his incredibly strong dick to sell a new television series. But I really loved Borat. I thought that it was, and still is, one of the most original and hilarious comedies in a long ass time. And The Dictator looks like it's gonna tap into that vein of absurdity, while ditching the whole documentary thing. The inclusion of John C. Reilly, and Ben Kingsley can only sweeten the deal.



9. Coriolanus

I'm not as well versed in Shakespeare as I should be, given that I'm a theatre major and all that. But, I am still excited as hell for this modern, super violent take on one of the Bard's lesser known tragedies. The cast is killer, with Ralph Fiennes taking the lead role as the disgraced general. It's also Fiennes' directorial debut. Very, very interesting.



8. Gravity

Alfonso Cuarón hasn't made a film since 2006's brilliant Children of Men. He returns to the sci-fi well with this tale of a astronaut stranded in space. All that's been confirmed, cast wise, so far are George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, so... not bad. Cuarón has not made a bad film in the longest time! No reason to suspect him to change up his game now, right?


7. Gangster Squad

I don't know how I feel about the director on this one. Reuben Fleischer doesn't have the best track record in his young career, and he has only done comedy. But, the cast in this movie is so loaded, I can't see anyone not getting pumped for it. Ryan Gosling, Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Nick Nolte, Emma Stone, Anthony Mackie, and Josh Pence. Hell! Yes!


6. Looper

Joseph Gordon-Levitt in an action movie about a time traveling hitman who discovers that his next target is his future self. It also has Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt. But the main thing? It's directed by Rian Johnson, the same Rian Johnson who directed JoGo in Brick. Hell yeah, I'm gonna see this movie!


5. Prometheus

I'll admit, when I first heard the concept of an Alien prequel, I gagged. Then I heard Ridley Scott would direct, but I was still skeptical. He hasn't been the man we once knew as of late, and hasn't touched sci-fi in forever. The cast was good, but I had my doubts. Then I saw that trailer. Doubts! Dashed!



4. The Hobbit

There's always the fear that the plague known as "Phantom Menace Syndrome" will strike this one, and that's why it's not all the way at the top. But, it's Peter Jackson returning to the property he so masterfully unveiled a decade ago. Basically, it's more Lord of the Rings, and that is a good thing!



3. Django Unchained

I had to explain this to my mom last night, and I realized that said explanation is the perfect reason for anticipating this movie. It's the new Quentin Tarantino movie, in which Jamie Foxx is a slave who teams up with a bounty hunter, played by Christoph Waltz, to take down a brutal plantation owner, played by Leonardo Dicaprio. Admit it. You just had a mild orgasm.



2. The Avengers

I know some people aren't too pumped for this. I'm not one of them. Yes, The Avengers is, essentially, the most elaborate gimmick in the history of cinema, but I'll be damned if it isn't also the coolest. What started with a 30 second clip at the end of Iron Man has grown into full on, comic book continuity on the big screen. Directed by fanboy favorite Joss Whedon, and starring all the guys and gals who impressed us in Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, and Captain America, The Avengers has all the trappings of a comic book epic. I can't wait!



1. The Dark Knight Rises

....
Do I really need to explain myself on this one?



Ok, two days left. Thanks for sticking with me on this journey. We are all almost done. Tune in tomorrow for a fun list, and be sure to check out 2011: The Retrospect for anything you might have missed. Á demain!

No comments:

Post a Comment