January 2, 2012

2011: The Retrospect: Top 5 Best Lines

Let's start off with a fun one.

Line delivery is one of the oft overlooked pieces of performance. A script can be a big pile of nothing, but a talented actor can hide that with a well done line. So, with that in mind, here are the top 5 lines of 2011, as decided by me and my committee of one here at the black hole! These are the best of line delivery and script writing

5. "No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." (Corey Stoll from Midnight In Paris)

Well, yeah. Not every line on this list needs to be a witty punch line or some verbally clever use of the english (or otherwise) language. This line makes the cut because it, quite simply, true. And the best ones are the ones that speak truth about an aspect of human life. Props to Woody Allen and Stoll's blunt, honest delivery. 

*This clip doesn't have that line, but that blunt, honest delivery? Yeah, that's still there. 


4. "I have a demon in me." (Ed Helms from The Hangover: Part II)

The Hangover: Part II will be making another appearance in this retrospective, though not in any praise worthy position. I can't however deny the dry wit and absurdity of these six words, dry wit and absurdity that the rest of the movie desperately needed. 


3. "No one likes putting a dick in their mouth." (Seth Rogen from 50/50)

Rogen is a master of line delivery, and even though 50/50 was a little lighter on the laughs than I think most people expected, the humor was still prevalent thanks to winners like this. 


2. "I drive." (Ryan Gosling in Drive)

So cool. So calculated. Everything about this line just oozes steely sociopathy. Wonderful. Just wonderful. 


1. "I need a horse." (Chris Hemsworth in Thor)

Well said!


Tune in tomorrow for the best posters of the year, and be sure to hit up 2011: The Retrospect for all your 2011 memory jogging. See y'all tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. "I need a horse!" is my favourite line after "I see a rhinoceros!" in Midnight in Paris, haha.

    ReplyDelete