May 11, 2012

Trailer Trash: Gangster Squad

It's time to root through some trailers. What sorts of wonderful things will be alluded to today?

One of my most anticipated of the year has finally beached, and is ready to be analyzed.

And, yeah, it seems a lot of my fears came to fruition.

First off, it seems director Reuben Fleischer is bringing in that slo-mo thing with the action that he used to decent effect on Zombieland and 30 Seconds or Less. Personally, I think said slo-mo will not work at all here. It's completely wrong for the subject matter and tone that this movie is going for. This trailer really sells this thing as a full bore action movie, which is not what I was hoping for.

Also, the lines of dialogue they choose to highlight here are AWFUL!!! Absolutely terrible.

"No ma'am. I was just hoping to take you to bed."

Are you kidding me? The fact that a tomcat like Ryan Gosling is the one uttering that line makes it only marginally better.

Like, what is being done to differentiate this movie from The Untouchables? It seems like the exact same movie. Granted, I still have hopes. The cast is way too good for a rote clone of that particular slice of gangster paradise. But I am far more wary now.

No comments:

Post a Comment