May 7, 2012

In Other News: Unprecedented Amounts of Bank

Marvel is gonna be partying it up tonight!!!

WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!!!!

The Avengers has claimed to prize of biggest opening weekend ever. And not by any small margin either. You know how Deathly Hallows: Part 2 barely squeezed past The Dark Knight by a measly 11 million? Yeah, The Avengers soared past that by about 30 million, taking in a staggering 200 million over the weekend.

Whatever voodoo magic dark energy tesseract fueled machine Marvel is running over there is one to be very wary of. I'm not going to speak on the quality of the film right now. (In short: a triumph of character, effects, action, humor, and emotion.) But God Damn, I don't think anyone saw this one coming.

The marketing has really been clever on this one, hasn't it. I mean, no one else has employed the tactics Marvel has used to take over the world, but I'm getting the feeling that we're going to see a lot more of it. Methinks a Justice League franchise is now being feverishly green lit over at DC.

A lot of people were no doubt betting that The Dark Knight Rises would be the champion of this summer. And I bet all of those people are just as stunned as I am. If TDKR can top this haul in its opening weekend, then... I don't know. Guess the world really will end after all.

Well played Marvel. Well played indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment