August 9, 2010

Trailer Trash: Burlesque

It's time to root through some trailers. What sorts of wonderful things will be eluded to today?

Today's trailer carries lukewarm feelings for me. It has talented people in it, but... I don't know. Something about it turns me off.

Burlesque is about a young girl who comes to LA in search of stardom and fame, and, what do you know, she ends up as a waitress at a club. The club in question is run by a real bitch, who won't let the newbie get on the stage. Turns out, the new girl is one hell of a singer, and it's her voice that puts the club back on the map.

Directed by Steven Antin, Burlesque is a musical that is, shockingly, not based on Broadway hit. The cast includes Christina Aguilera as new girl Ali, Cher as her boss, Stanley Tucci as the club's stage manager, Cam Gigandet as a bartender who schmoozes Ali, an Eric Dane as producer who shows up at some point. The cast looks alright. Tucci is a genius; Gigandet is usually pretty good; I don't know about Cher; and I'm worried as hell about Aguilera. This just seems to a ploy to get her back in the spotlight. That never works out.

So, the trailer. I'm feeling very "eh" about this one. Nothing about it popped. It just seemed lazy and tired. The music numbers look cool, but then, they always look cool. So, I don't know. Maybe this will be good, but, I'm going in with tempered expectations.

No comments:

Post a Comment